My Three Rules for Life:
1. Always try your best. Put your utmost effort into everything you do, even if it seems unimportant.
2.When the stress builds up, take a break and stop.
3. Laugh and Smile.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Take a Bow, by Elizabeth Eulberg

Hi!
Right now, I'll be reviewing the book, Take a Bow, by Elizabeth Eulberg.
This story is basically about four seniors that attend the New York City High School of the Creative and Performing Arts, or CPA.
The protagonist is named Emme, a shy girl who is talented in playing instruments, writing songs, and especially, singing.
Her "best friend", Sophie manipulates Emme and to help her gain her ultimate dream of superstardom (She also dates Carter).
Carter is a former child star, but wants to live a normal life.
And Ethan is extremely talented in music and is friends with Emme.

So, Emme and Ethan have been in a band, along with two other characters, Ben and Jack, ever since freshman year. Sophie sings songs and also acts, while Carter does drama, but wants to join the art department. All of the seniors perform in a special assembly called the Senior Showcase, and their performances affects their future in college, dance academies, and the entertainment industry.

....Well, I don't really know what else to say -.-;
This book is really complicated (okay....not really. But the narrations are affected on 4 characters with their own little problems and such, so it is kind of hard to explain here.)

But, here are my thoughts on some parts of the novel ^^

WARNING: FROM HERE ON OUT, I MAY SPOIL SOME PARTS OF THE PLOT...O.O

*Note: Before I start, I should say that I like to assign characters faces, and I do that kind of subconsciously. People's (usually actors and actresses) faces just kind of pop up. If the book has a movie, then I'd imagine the characters as the actors in the movie, and if the book has a picture of a protagonist or something, I'd imagine the character like that.

My thoughts on Sophie:
I thought she was pretty much a selfish, manipulative little b**** from beginning to end. There were some times when I thought that she would actually change, but I guess I was wrong about that -.- I do kind of admire that she would do so much for her dream, and I would say that she is a hard worker, but she kind of went overboard and just became a really mean, and nasty person.
While I was reading, I kept imagining that Sophie looked like Rachel McAdams when she was in the movie, Mean Girls (LOL, I didn't even watch that movie), even though in the book, Sophie is supposed to be a brunette. I guess I just made the connection because their personalities seem similar (again, I didn't watch the movie, but I saw some short clips on Youtube)
My thoughts on Emme:
I would say that Emme is an extremely shy girl who gets her confidence from her friends/bandmates and the people she trusts. But because of her modesty, she is easily manipulated by Sophie (and she even knows that too).
I didn't really have a specific actress "assigned" to Emme. I think that's because I tried to imagine her as the girl on the cover of the book, but I couldn't really completely see her face all the time because you can only see half of the girl's face on the cover.
My thoughts on Carter:
I like how during his narration (well...not really. This book didn't have any "I" 's or "me" 's so...), speech is written in the form of a script. It's really creative and shows how he's always been acting, ever since he was little, and is used to this sort of stuff.
For some reason, I really liked Carter's character. I have no clue why.
Also, I imagined him as Lucas Till. Probably because their both blonde, and because he was in Taylor Swift's (who is AWESOME) "You Belong With Me" video.
My thoughts on Ethan:
Throughout the book, I was like, "No, don't do that, dude!!!! :(" I just kept thinking that Ethan kept making more and more mistakes. It's nice to know that he got a happy ending though :)
Out of the four main characters, Ethan was the only one whose face I really couldn't imagine. He was just a dude with his face blurred out (...that sounds a bit creepy) with long black hair to me.
I don't really have many thoughts on him.

Anyways, I think that Take a Bow was a really good book.
I'd say....about 4 out of stars? Maybe 5. :\

Well, I hope you guys will read it (if you can/want to) because it's definitely really good.
Bye! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment